Thursday, January 31, 2019

THE EPIC ADVENTURES OF HUGGIE & STICK by Drew Daywalt & David Spencer - A hilarious story with two very different perspectives


This book was recommended to me by writer Erika David, who also has the dream job of working in the children’s department of a bookstore.  I’m so happy she told me about this one because it’s tons of fun!  


Summary from the publisher:

When super cheerful Stick and grumpy stuffed bunny Huggie get thrown from a backpack, the adventure is on! Together this odd couple survives encounters with sea-faring pirates, raging rhinos in Africa, sword-wielding royalty in Europe, stick-eating panda bears in Asia, sharks in Australia, hungry penguins in Antarctica, and piranhas in South America–all before finally making it home to North America. A fantastically funny read-aloud about two unlikely friends and their epic journey around the world.

The Epic Adventures of Huggie & Stick was written by Drew Daywalt and illustrated by David Spencer. It was published by Philomel Books, an imprint of Penguin Random House in 2018.


Opening:     

Huggie and Stick belonged to a little boy named Reece, and like many things that belong to little boys, they spend a good part of their time being lugged around in a backpack.



My Thoughts as a Writer:

What a great book to study for learning about voice. I love the two different personalities of the main characters that come through in the letters they write. It’s really fun to see two different perspectives on the same experience. The illustrations are great and add to the humor, especially the little doodle drawings on the letters.



My Thoughts as an Educator:

I can see this being a big hit with young children. It’d be great to include this in an author study about Drew Daywalt. I might also use this book to introduce the idea of different points of view. It would be fun to assign pairs of students to a random experience, have them each write a letter and then read the results.

Ages: 4 - 9

Grades: K – 4

Themes: letter-writing, adventure, perspectives

Activities:

Write: Pick a random event (or one of your own experiences) and write two letters showing how different characters might view the experience.

Explore: Choose one of the continents in the book and do some research. What would you find if you visited? Create a “postcard” from your imaginary adventure.

Draw: What will happen to Huggie & Stick on their next adventure? Draw a picture or two to show your ideas!

STEM challenge: Can you design a backpack that will keep Huggie & Stick from getting lost (or escaping)?

12 comments:

  1. Sounds like a really creative story. I also love your clever activities tied to the book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a really fun story! Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. In addition to wanting to check out this book from my library because of your great review, I'm inspired to try out the activities you posted. I love the idea of creating two characters who view an experience in opposite ways.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like your ideas for classroom activities here, Andrea. And author studies are also great. Drew certainly has that whacky kid humor down.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it would be interesting to do an author study of Drew Daywalt's books for sure!

      Delete
  4. I had not seen this one yet. Will be studying this one for my own writing. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You share such great books. This looks like a gem. I especially like your suggestions in using the book with kids. Will check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like "letter" stories. This really sounds interesting. I haven't seen this one. So, I put it on hold. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear your responses and thoughts! Your comments will appear after moderation (I’ve decided to enable moderation due to excessive spam).