Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Cool Blog Quote: Characters Take Action

"...what the character DOES is far more important than what is DONE TO the character. Readers want to engage with a character who makes decisions and choices and takes action."

Mooderino, Waiting for a Story to Get Going, Moody Writing, Monday June 11, 2012

It occurs to me that a good check for this would be to go through your story and find all the places where your character is taking action vs. being acted upon. Which are there more of? I'll be keeping a sharper eye on my own story to make sure my characters are making decisions and taking action to solve their problems.

7 comments:

  1. That's so true. And after a critique I realized in my first chapter my main character was being acted on too much so I had to think about it and fix it. Luckily I thought of a plan that I hope works.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is especially important because it is reflected in your synopsis (when the acted on happens during the big conflicts), and then then your mc looks like a victim not a doer.

    Great quote!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true, Stina. The synopsis is the bare bones and it would be really obvious there if your MC isn't taking action.

      Delete
  3. great quote - something to chew on for sure :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, you are right where you need to be on your 100 book challenge.

    I think this is one reason the folks who write their queries and synopses in the early going are on to something. You'll come up against the need to make your MC active right away.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is so true and a great choice to pick. Indeed if the MC isn't the main person acting, then are they the right character to be telling this story?

    Great blog btw - actually found you through the 'tall tales' blog - I followed the links to a few people who entered the competition, as I am newly blogging and seeking to make connections with other YA writers! I have followed you ;)

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear your responses and thoughts! Your comments will appear after moderation (I’ve decided to enable moderation due to excessive spam).