Tuesday, March 24, 2020

Daily Ideas for Bored Young Children and Overwhelmed Parents - Literacy



One of the things I’ve noticed is the huge number of read alouds, construction challenges, games and drawing lessons popping up everywhere on the internet. I don’t know about you, but I’m experiencing a bit of overwhelm.

As I’ve seen in many places, good advice to remember is that parents are not teachers. As a parent, first and foremost you need to cherish, love and keep your kids happy and healthy. You do what you need to do to during these challenging times. Please stay safe and follow recommended social distancing measures.

At the same time, I know it’s challenging to keep children busy all day long. So I’m going to be posting a fun learning idea or link with resources as I can (hopefully daily but we’ll see how that goes). 

Since I have the knowledge and learning from my background as a kindergarten teacher in Ontario, I’ll include information about the related areas of development and learning (for parents who are worried that their children are missing their learning). Please note that I’m doing this as a good samaritan, drawing on my expertise to be helpful, rather than as part of my employment as a teacher. 

Parents of young children can also visit Ontario.ca/learnathome.

Be well & have fun!

_________________________________________________

Today's fun resource:  KidLit TV

Area of Development: literacy

This resource has been around for a while. It has a library of read alouds by authors and book-related activities. I especially love Ready, Set, Draw! Here's an example:






Have fun exploring!





No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear your responses and thoughts! Your comments will appear after moderation (I’ve decided to enable moderation due to excessive spam).