Friday, October 19, 2012

NaNoWriMo is Coming

I often think of participating in National Novel Writing Month, but with a family to look after and a day job, the thought of writing an entire novel in a month is overwhelming. The quickest I’ve ever written a novel draft is three months.

I tend to be a slow and careful writer, so it's hard for me to "just write" and ignore my perfectionistic tendencies. I love the idea of having a month where one writing project is high priority, with the goal of getting a good chunk of a novel written. I'd also like to see if I can speed up my drafting process and get some of the story out, so my revising work can be even more purposeful, since I'll know more about my characters and where they're going. So, I’m thinking of doing a “mini nano” for myself, where I try to get as much done as I can, without any pressure to finish a novel.
Have you ever done Nanowrimo? Do you have any tips?

9 comments:

  1. Sounds like a great idea Andrea. I'm going to try to focus on writing more in November, but like you, can't do NaNo with a full-time job and a daughter with a busy swim schedule. Plus there's the busy blog. But I do want to focus on writerly things more in November, whether it's writing or getting myself ready to query after the 1st of the year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never done NaNo and this year will be no exception. I have an idea for a story, but I'm still doing the research (there's lots to do on this one), and I wanted to finish the current draft of my WIP before I plan the next book. Maybe one day the stars will aline so I can participate. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's so true that you have to be ready for it.

      Delete
  3. I like your idea of the mini NaNo! I have thought about doing it, too. But- with work and other obligations I don't know how I would fit it all in. I hope one day to participate!
    ~Jess

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love and hate NaNo. I will do it this year so I can finish my first draft of my sequel. But I'm not going to pressure myself because I don't know how substantial my edits will be.

    We're going to have to do a email sign in or 1k hours together to make this happen girl! You always inspire me with how well your writing pulls together. My stories are such a mess after I'm finished with that first draft!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never done it, and I write like you do. I do want to speed up my drafting, but I've found that switching to a word count goal rather than a time goal has helped.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good idea. I'm going to figure out how many words I can reasonably manage each day and try to shoot for that.

      Delete
  6. I'm all for making each other more accountable!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear your responses and thoughts! Your comments will appear after moderation (I’ve decided to enable moderation due to excessive spam).