Friday, February 7, 2020

TURTLE AND TORTOISE ARE NOT FRIENDS by Mike Reiss & Ashley Spires


A fun story about friendship (with a few details about the differences and similarities between turtles and tortoises).


Summary from the publisher:

Two sworn enemies learn that they have more in common than meets the eye, and it’s never too late to make a new friend—even if it takes decades!

Ever since they were little hatchlings, Turtle and Tortoise decided that they’d forever be separated due to their different shells.

As years and years go by, the two reptiles stay on opposites side of the pen and embark on their own adventures, while holding an everlasting grudge. Until one day, Turtle and Tortoise get into a bit of pickle and need each other’s help!

Turtle and Tortoise Are NOT Friends was written by Mike Reiss and illustrated by Ashley Spires. It was published in 2019 by HarperCollins Children’s Books.


Opening:    

There is a place far, far away, and in that place two eggs found themselves in the same pen.
A turtle popped out of one egg.
A tortoise popped out of the other.


My Thoughts as a Writer:

I enjoyed the humor in this story! This would be a good one to study to see how to use animal characteristics as the basis for creating humor. 

I found it surprising that the front feet of the turtle and tortoise were referred to as hands – I wondered if this would be confusing for young children.



My Thoughts as an Educator:

I liked the way this story mirrors how children sometimes make their mind up about something based on a small, possibly erroneous, piece of information and later realize they weren’t right or that it doesn’t matter. I’d enjoy using this book to start a discussion on appearances are not always important when it comes to friendship.

Ages: 4-9

Grades: K – 3

Themes: individual differences, friendship, cooperation

Activities:

Research & Share: What questions do you have about turtles and tortoises? Do some research and try to answer them! Share your findings by making a book or poster.

Dramatic Play: Make a turtle puppet and a tortoise puppet and act out the story.

STEM Challenge: Design a way for either the turtle or tortoise to get to the middle of the pen faster! What would help—a bridge? A vehicle? A balloon? Draw your design and then try to build it!


9 comments:

  1. This book just zoomed to the top of my list. I have a pet tortoise that sticks his head waaaay out of his shell and closes his eyes when I caress his neck. I named him after Roald Dahl's book about a tortoise with its name spelled backwards - Esio Trot. I'm looking forward to finding out how the turtle and tortoise in this book help each other. Thanks for sharing this book today. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I LOVE the name you game to your tortoise!

      Delete
    2. This sounds like a great story! I, too, am a little surprised at having the front feet referred to as hands. Foot would have been more appropriate. But it sounds like a nice way to compare turtles and tortoises, otherwise. Thanks for the rec!

      Delete
    3. Love that you named your tortoise Esio Trot!

      Delete
  2. I love your suggestion for using this book to discuss how kids (and adults, too) sometimes make a judgement about something based on one small bit of information that may not provide the full or accurate picture. Questioning those judgements/assumptions is such an important part of developing critical thinking skills!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always find it frustrating in French that they have the same word for tortoise and turtle. This looks fun for friendship and some natural history.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In the book they tell us that all tortoises are actually turtles!

      Delete
  4. Oh, I like this book! Important messages for children and a great classroom book! What kid doesn't like a turtle!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great story, Andrea. I am looking forward to reading this one. One hold! Thanks for introducing me to it.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear your responses and thoughts! Your comments will appear after moderation (I’ve decided to enable moderation due to excessive spam).