Friday, January 4, 2013

Making Your Writing Better Than Good


I love it when blog articles make me stop and reflect on my goals and what I want from my writing (and my life). I recently read this:

“Good” gets rejected. Your work has to be the best.
 
Jane Friedman, How Long Should You Keep Trying to Get Published?, December 29, 2012

I'm choosing this for my Cool Blog Quote for the month of January, because it reminds me that being a writer is about continually trying to improve and challenge myself to be more creative.

Even though the struggle to be a better writer sometimes seems so hard I just want to crawl under a blanket and read an amazing book that someone else wrote, most of the time I'm thinking about how I can make my story better, stronger or more compelling. And I know it's possible, if only I can write my way there.

One of the things I do to help keep my writing on track is to set writing goals. I find I'm more productive when I'm working towards something specific. My goals for 2013 are posted over at  MiG Writers - The MiG's 2013 Goals. I'm so lucky to have great group of writing friends to help support me as I work towards achieving my goals! I think I would have stopped my writing at "Good" or "Slightly Worse Than Good" a long time ago without them to cheer me.

So I'm passing along my wish for you in 2013 - that you have success in making your writing better and stronger than it has ever been before.





7 comments:

  1. Such a true quote though sometimes it makes me want to crawl back in bed. It's great to have goals to keep us going. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One thing about writing, there's always a new goal to set for improvement. Never a dull moment.

      Delete
  2. Love that quote. And thanks for sharing the link to Jane's post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read that article. It was one of the best I've seen in a long time. Too much online now about writing and publishing implies that it's easy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true. People forget about all the hard work behind the success.

      Delete
  4. I read that same quote from that same article. I think this is a hard one for many writers to face. It's exciting and scary to step forth and find out if we can write something amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A worthy goal indeed! I'm hoping to improve my writing craft this year as well :)

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear your responses and thoughts! Your comments will appear after moderation (I’ve decided to enable moderation due to excessive spam).