Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Getting Ready for SCBWI Winter 2013

In just 23 days, I'm going to a big SCBWI conference for the first time ever! I'm so excited because this is something I've always dreamed of doing. But I'm also nervous, because it's been a long time since I've travelled anywhere by myself, let alone to huge conference like this. Luckily, I used to live in NYC many years ago, so I'm trusting that I'll still be able to figure out where I'm going.

With the clock ticking down to my departure date, I've been starting to work on getting ready for the conference. Here are some of things I'm starting to do to get ready:

1. I ordered business cards. All the advice I've read about going to a conference suggests this is a good idea, so you can easily exchange contact info with people you meet.

2. I'm trying to finish revising a novel I soon want to start subbing, because I'd love to be able to talk about this one to other writers and people I meet at the conference. I'm also working on perfecting the short "elevator" pitch and summary, just in case, even though I'm expecting mostly to be there to soak up all I can about writing and publishing.

3. I've been practicing the answer to the question, What do you write? It might seem crazy to practice this, but I can imagine myself being all tongue-tied and mumbly in the presence of other writers who are much more successful than I am.


Have you been to any writing conferences? What did you do to get ready?






7 comments:

  1. Awesome Andrea that you're going. Hope it's a great time and that you make some great connections. Sounds like you'll be very prepared.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm doing the same things you are - plus trying to figure out how to best get from the airport to the hotel! I'm starting to plan my wardrobe too. Go with professional? Quirky? Comfortable? Ah! Decisions!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We'll have to confer on that one, Car. That and how to squish it all into a carry on. Hmm...maybe I need a new carry on? I forsee some shopping in the upcoming weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's awesome. It's a dream of mine too. Hopefully one day.
    I hope you remember to enjoy yourself too and make plenty of new friends. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are ongoing to have so much fun. Good thinking about the cards. You'll need them. And definitely get your pitch right. It will help you when someone asks about your story.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Enjoy! I haven't been to one yet but do hope to one day.

    ReplyDelete
  7. How exciting! I've been to regional SCBWI conferences, but never to one of the big ones. Sounds like you are prepared and ready. Have fun!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear your responses and thoughts! Your comments will appear after moderation (I’ve decided to enable moderation due to excessive spam).