Friday, October 14, 2011

Are You Writing What's Right for You?

One of the things I think about when I get "not for me" responses is whether I really should be writing the kinds of things I'm writing. Is it the right genre? Am I writing for the right age group? Maybe I should be doing something else altogether. This week, over at MiG Writers, some of us talked about why we're writing YA or MG.

Thinking about the why reminds me of how much I love it. If you haven't read our post, check it out and let us know why you are writing what you write.

One of the things I love about writing MG is a sense of connection to my audience (kind of funny, in light of the "no connection to the work" responses I get about my writing). I love getting a chance to think the way a kid thinks, and letting my characters explore things I never did when I was that age.

For me, writing is like a huge escape into another world, which I suppose is why I often feel so fired up and refreshed after a writing session. But I think if I was struggling to write in a genre that really wasn't for me, writing would leave me really drained and probably grumpy.

3 comments:

  1. I think I'm writing what's right for me. Whether it's right for the marketplace is a whole other thing. I'm hoping someday 'right for me' meets 'right for the market' and I get published.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm writing for me too.I know there has to someone else out there somewhere who will like it too. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. I tried chick lit and it always comes out more serious, like women's fiction. My goal with my next book tho is to make it somewhat more literary.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear your responses and thoughts! Your comments will appear after moderation (I’ve decided to enable moderation due to excessive spam).