Monday, June 28, 2010

Hooray for Deadlines!

Only 3 days (counting today) until the day I wanted to be finished the first draft of my work-in-progress, and I’m doubtful that I’m going to make it. That’s because, in the process of getting my character to talk about her situation (thanks to Andrea V.  for your suggestion), my plot has expanded to create more interesting events than the ones I had originally planned. Yay!

I’m still going to attempt to meet my self-imposed deadline. I’ve found that it’s been a good motivator for me. Plus, it helps me remember that this is only a first draft. Polishing, rewriting, going back to fix things—that’s all going to come later. I have ideas for more novels and I don’t want to spend forever getting the story down (like the 2 or 3 years I spent on each of my first couple of novels), especially when I know I’ll be changing things during revisions. So, hooray for deadlines (but also for having the flexibility to be able to break them if necessary, so I won't be up 'til midnight Wednesday scrambling to finish my novel).

6 comments:

  1. It’s so funny to be excited about a deadline. But I agree with you it’s a motivator, a goal to shoot for. The best thing about self-imposed deadlines, like you say, is that they can be modified if needed. Go crazy for your three days. I want to know how it goes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! I'm glad my suggestion helped. :) I seem to be better with deadlines, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think when new ideas come, you just have to let them have some breathing room to develop. Deadlines need to be flexible for stuff like this, because it is these fun bits of ephiphany that make a MS sing!

    Angela @ The Bookshelf Muse

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maybe I cheated, but here's a suggestion in case you don't make it: Declare it done and move on to the revisions. After all, you've decided on new plot elements, and since so much changes in revision anyway, why not launch into the revision and consider the changes part of it? That's what I've decided to do with mine, and I feel SO much better. I'm now ahead of the game, and I love revision. It's really all a matter of putting myself in a different place mentally. It's as if the first draft has served its purpose: showing me where the last quarter of the book has to go, so now I can go there in the rewrite.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love self-imposed deadlines, too, but I agree: do what will make your book most interesting. It sounds like things are going great. I'm happy for you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Southpaw, it is weird to be excited about a deadline, but everything with my writing excites me lately. It's like I've finally found my stride after years of struggling.

    Marcia, I love the way you think! Revision is my fav part of the writing process. (Good thing, since I often have to do so much of it!)

    Thanks for the encouragement, Andrea V., Angela and Dawn! It really helps to be part of a supportive writing community.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear your responses and thoughts! Your comments will appear after moderation (I’ve decided to enable moderation due to excessive spam).