Thursday, November 8, 2018

STORM by Sam Usher


This book showcases autumn weather and leaves in a such a fun way! I enjoy these books about a boy and his granddad going on adventures. I’ve also read Sun, and now I’m going to search for Rain and Snow!


Summary from the publisher:

A storm is brewing and the wind is picking up, so a boy and his grandfather decide it’s the perfect weather for kite flying. There’s just one problem: they have to find the kite! Their search brings up many wonderful memories of previous adventures together, and when they finally make it outside, their adventure really takes off!

Storm was written and illustrated by Sam Usher. It was published by Templar Books, an imprint of Candlewick in 2017.




Opening:     

When I woke up
this morning
the wind was rattling
the windows.

I couldn’t wait to
go outside.


My Thoughts as a Writer:

I love the way the opening of this book draws us in! There’s some nice humor in this story as the boy and his granddad search for a kite, and I enjoyed the parallel of their mess inside with mess of leaves outside. Descriptive language that appeals to the senses (“The wind gushed and howled”) helps to create a complete picture of a stormy day.
I really like this illustration style of watercolour and ink, and it works well for this story with its storm clouds.


My Thoughts as an Educator:

I don’t see many books that feature children interacting in a meaningful way with their grandparents, and I love that these two go on adventures together. A great book for opening up discussion about things to do with family members that aren’t parents.

Ages: 4 - 8

Grades: K – 3

Themes: autumn, wind, grandparents

Activities:

Share: Draw a picture or tell about a time when you did something with one of your grandparents.  If you don’t have a grandparent, draw a picture of something you did with a family member that is not your mom or dad.

Create: Can you make a kite? When you are finished, take it outside on a windy day to see if it can fly.

Write: Make a list of words to describe the wind. Challenge yourself to use the words in a story or poem.




No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear your responses and thoughts! Your comments will appear after moderation (I’ve decided to enable moderation due to excessive spam).