Monday, June 1, 2015

Podcast Picks for Writers -- May 2015

I’ve been doing a lot more driving lately, and I find that’s the best time for listening to my favorite podcasts. I also like to listen while I’m doing boring household chores and sometimes, while I’m walking one of the dogs (though sometimes I've been listening to the sounds around me, after watching Pico lyer). Just click on the heading to go to the link.


Literary Agent Michael Bourret - This Creative Life, Episode 40


I always enjoy Sara Zarr’s interesting conversations with people who do creative work. 

This one will be especially interesting for writers who are trying to get an agent or are curious about what it might be like to work with an agent. Michael also talks about his perspective on what's ahead in publishing.





This interview makes the process of writing and illustrating a picture book sound like so much fun! I recently read her book, Here Comes the Easter Cat, and it was so interesting to find out more about the process for creating the Cat series.







There’s lots of information in this podcast for anyone who is thinking about hiring an independent editor to help take their work to the next level. Some great quotes from the interview:

Joanna: “If you are expecting to make money from your book as a business, then you need to invest money in that book to make it the best product it can be.”

Jen: “You shouldn’t feel like you’re being beaten up when you are being edited.”

If you don’t want to listen to this as a podcast, the transcript is also available.



I was introduced to this Ted Talk by @MetroMorning and it’s definitely worth watching or even just listening to if you engage in any kind of creative endeavour. It gave me a lot to think about. 










1 comment:

  1. Clearly, I need to start listening to podcasts! They all sound fascinating. Thanks for the heads-up.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear your responses and thoughts! Your comments will appear after moderation (I’ve decided to enable moderation due to excessive spam).