Friday, November 2, 2012

November is Writing Month

I'm not usually too fond of November. It's cold, dreary and follows fun-filled October (otherwise known as the Month of Treats in our household because of all the desserts, with Thanksgiving, 2 birthdays and Halloween). But this year I'm excited about November, because of my writing goals. I'm sure I'm being overly optimistic about what I can accomplish, given all the craziness in my life right now, but I've decided to work on two different writing goals:

1) I'm doing a mini NaNoWriMo, where I focus on writing a new story and try to get as much writing as I can done each day, with no pressure to complete a novel. I'm not going to sign up for anything but I will keep track of my progress so I can see how much I'm getting done.


2) Since I get lots of story ideas while I'm teaching, I'm going to also try PiBoIdMo (Picture Book Idea Month). The goal is to think up a new picture book idea every day. For me, that mostly means being more vigilant about writing down the ideas I already get, so I decided to sign up for it.

I love the idea of having a notebook that contains nothing but ideas. My usual writing notebook is filled with so much more, sometimes ideas for new projects get lost in there.

How am I doing? So far, so good. I've started writing my novel, even though there's something important I haven't worked out yet, and it scares me a little that I don't know where it's going. And I already have 2 picture book ideas in my notebook.

What are your writing goals for November? Have you made a start on them?

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like you've got a good plan. For me, NaNoWriMo is about more than just signing up and hammering out 50K in a month. It's about working on writing during November - whatever that might mean for each individual. And you're doing a great job so far. Go you!

    I'm working on revising this suspense I wrote back in '08. So far, so good - but it's early yet. ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. November is crazy with the presidential election (I'm a pollworker), a trip to visit our son, and our Thanksgiving. I planned it (glad to say I succeeded!) so that my WIP 1st draft could rest this month, and then I'll dig into revisions in December.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear your responses and thoughts! Your comments will appear after moderation (I’ve decided to enable moderation due to excessive spam).