Friday, March 2, 2012

What You Need to Know About Writing Middle Grade

Have you seen this great discussion about writing middle grade?

Literary agent Michael Bourret and editor Molly O'Neil give us the scoop on everything you wanted to know about middle grade. This is well worth reading and it's only part 1. There is more to come!

Here's a quote from Molly O'Neil:  "I think about middle grade being the time when a lot of readers discover “that book”—the one that turns them into a lifelong reader, or explodes their world open with new ideas, or shares exactly the right truth at exactly the right moment in a way they’ll never forget."

6 comments:

  1. I read a post somewhere about middle grade writing recently and it was saying how no subject is off limits as long as it's appropriate to the story, because no topic is off limits to the people reading at that age. I agree with the quote you have here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a great answer. That's when I discovered The Book that made me want to be a writer and turned me from being a reluctant reader to a reluctant non-reader. :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I saw this come across Twitter yesterday (the link to the conversation) and retweeted it mostly so I would know where to look for the link when I had time to read it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, I saw this! Like Barbara, I'm pretty sure I saw it on Twitter. And that quote really stuck out to me, too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh I saw this on twitter but the post hadn't been done yet. I'm off to check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the link to this fantastic series! I managed to miss it on Twitter completely :)

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear your responses and thoughts! Your comments will appear after moderation (I’ve decided to enable moderation due to excessive spam).