Saturday, January 1, 2011

A New Year = New Projects + Enthusiasm

The start of the new year feels to me like the start of a new story -- blank pages, waiting to be written on. I feel the excitement of new ideas and a surge of energy as I get fired up to develop them into stories.

To take advantage of that New Year's Day enthusiasm, I'm setting my goals for 2011. I set just a few so I actually have a chance of accomplishing them. After all, you can always add more once you finish the first ones.

1. Plan and begin writing another novel based on one of the great ideas waiting in my notebook. I have a couple of ideas already sketched into plots that I'm eager to take further.

2. Revisit Novel #3 - Wild Genius, which is still nagging at me. I'd like to revise it to make it into a more believable story.

3. Write more regularly, even if just 500 words a day. [Note to self: That's WRITE. Not sit at the computer checking e-mails, blogs or even writing blog posts or blog comments.]

These goals are not much different from the goals I posted last year on the MiG Writer's blog (except for the different projects). My third goal is exactly the same. I always want to be more productive. But I am proud of what I managed to get done in 2010:

1.  Starting this blog - yay!
2.  Reading over 100 YA and MG books to complete my 100 book challenge.
3. Finishing the first draft of Novel #4 in 3 months.
4. Finishing a round of revisions (because let's face it, until a book is published, the revisions are NEVER finished) on Novel #2, Novel #3 and, almost (2 chapters to go) Novel #4.
5. Sending queries out for Novel #2 (The Ethan Project).

Looking back reminds me that I can do it. What did you accomplish in 2010 that you are proud of? Do you have a goal for 2011?

8 comments:

  1. Congratulations on the progress you made in 2010! And best wishes on those for the new year. I have similar goals for the new year--words per day/queries/revisions/progress on new WIP. Won't it be a fun year?! Have a great one :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, four novels. Very impressive. Someday I may try MG, but for now it's YA. Best of luck to you!

    ~Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm with you on writing more regularly. With blogs, email, etc., it's too easy to slide out of the habit. Have a great year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kenda, here's to staying on track with our goals!

    Debbie, writing the four novels has taken a few years, but revising is a little faster. Sometimes.

    Andrea V., it's wa-ay too easy. That's why I'm so determined to stick to my goals.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah! What a year you had! I'm always amazed looking back at my goals and seeing where I was and where I am now. You've done so well and I'm so impressed with your drive and determination.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My goals are similar to yours, Andrea. I'm proud of the writing I did in 2010 (although my area thus far is picture books, not MG or YA) and I, too, started a blog (although mine is really new - started in December!) For 2011 I hope to continue with picture book writing but I'm really hoping this will be the year that I write (and finish!) an MG or YA novel that someone might actually want to read :) You can be sure I will be checking in here regularly for advice from someone who knows the ground rules for novel writing! Congratulations on a great 2010 and good luck with all your goals for 2011!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Susanna. I started out writing picture books but never managed to get any interest from agents or editors. Maybe I'll go back to it at some point, because I now teach kindergarten and always see topics where there aren't any good picture books for read alouds.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks, Christy. I find that thinking about my acomplishments (no matter how small) does help to keep that drive and enthusiasm going.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear your responses and thoughts! Your comments will appear after moderation (I’ve decided to enable moderation due to excessive spam).