Monday, January 3, 2011

Getting into a Groove

Though I love having time off, it’s great to get back into a routine, and especially to have a more regular writing time. Here’s my best tip for being productive:

Try to keep your story writing time separate from time that you use for other writing-related activities, like writing or reading blog posts, dealing with submissions and queries, or researching publishers. All worthwhile activities, but not the same as writing.

Good ways to use writing time:

1. Write a new section of your story.

2. Think about your characters or the plot for your story and make some notes.

3. Journal about the challenges you are facing in your story, or write a letter to one of your characters.

4. Write more on your story.

Do you have any great tips for making your writing time more productive?


Some news:

Starting Wednesday, I’m adding a new feature to my blog about writing middle grade fiction called The ABC’s of Writing for Middle Graders.

5 comments:

  1. I don't know if I have any tips for making writing time productive :) but I'm looking forward to the ABCs of Writing for Middle Graders!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm looking forward to the ABCs, too :-) As for tips, the best one for me is to just be sure I write something every day...

    ReplyDelete
  3. For me, it's just to sit down and write! Looking forward to the ABC posts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy New Year Andrea!

    Having a regular writing time is key for me. I'm going back to embracing my night owl ways (10 pm - midnight) -- it's what works for me.

    Looking forward to your blog series.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah, that writing every day one is hard. Like all of you, I do find that writing regularly helps to keep ideas flowing. Very good advice!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear your responses and thoughts! Your comments will appear after moderation (I’ve decided to enable moderation due to excessive spam).