Friday, December 10, 2010

What I Learned This Week

Some of the most interesting and helpful things I learn about writing come from reading other blogs. Here's what I discovered this week:

1. There can be blog contests with surprising twists. I love the Epic contest of Epic YA author Beth Revis is running to publicize her debut novel Across the Universe. I've heard a lot about this book and have been waiting for it to come out. But the contest itself is awesome - there are 100 prizes! If you haven't heard about it, you should check it out.

2. Writing seems so much more focussed when you keep the big picture in mind. This great post by Janice Hardy sums up the two key things you need for a good story: have a hook and be entertaining. And Laura Pauling expands on Sarah Davies' Unique Concept + Voice + Craft. Great stuff to read while revising. It helps keep you on track.

3. I love these tips for creating dialogue by Shannon Whitney Messenger. Definitely will be trying some out.

4. Sometimes you can only get past a tricky place in your novel by making a big change. But it's a good idea to save it with a new file name BEFORE you begin making the changes, just in case you need part of that earlier version. Duh!

5. Holiday treats provide great fuel for late night writing sessions. Sugar rush leads to better thinking, right? (Or maybe not. See previous point.) But I am on track to finish my revision of Novel #4 by the end of December.

5 comments:

  1. Thanks for the link! That's awesome you'll have some revisions done by end of December! You go!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for all the links. I'm with you on the late night holiday treats...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aw, thank you so much for linking my post. I feel so honored. :)

    Off to check out some of these other posts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the links, Andrea. Sugar? You mean chocolate, right? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ha! Well, Andrea V., at the time I was eating some Christmas baking, but chocolate would do nicely.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear your responses and thoughts! Your comments will appear after moderation (I’ve decided to enable moderation due to excessive spam).