Monday, April 19, 2010

A Week is Not Forever

Because of a combination of being sick and life events, I’ve been away from my writing for almost a week. It feels like forever. What I did manage to accomplish:

1) Decided I’m definitely sticking to Novel A, “Cooking story”, and leaving Novel B, “Bubble story”, for a later time. I’ll go crazy if I try to do too much.

2) Watched a T.V. show that gave me an idea for an early part of my story.

3) Worried about getting behind on my goal of finishing the first draft by the end of June.

4) Re-read The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (because even when I’m sick, I read). Admired the writing once again.

Today I’m going to write something on my novel, no matter how small, no matter if I end up ripping it out later because it doesn't work. Building some momentum makes a huge difference for me, because once the writing is flowing, more great ideas follow.

3 comments:

  1. I agree that momentum is so important. But sometimes downtime is a blessing in disguise. I realize now that I literally never know when a new idea or solution to a problem is going to strike, and that TV show sounds like it was definitely worth it. Hope you're feeling better!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just found your blog and had a visit. Quite enjoyable!

    Yes. Ideas sprout once writing flows. I find beginning is always the hardest. So writing something -- even if not used later -- is a good way of starting the engine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good call on momentum. Sometimes just getting out a few words seems to break the dam.

    (Ah, Hunger Games. I'm finally feeling an ebb in the obsessive thoughts, though it's been months since I finished. Can we survive the wait until August?)

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear your responses and thoughts! Your comments will appear after moderation (I’ve decided to enable moderation due to excessive spam).