Monday, February 6, 2023

HUMMINGBIRD by Natalie Lloyd – a story about magical wishes, friendship and hummingbirds

Happy February! I've had to take a bit of a blogging break, due to the demands of my teaching job, but I'm so excited to be getting back to doing more reading. Winter is such a great time to cozy up with a good book! 

Deep purple background, girl in wheelchair on a stage with cone of light over her head
Why this book?

I was excited to read this story, because I enjoy reading stories where characters need to cope with medical or physical challenges. It was interesting to learn about Olive’s bone disease, osteogenesis imperfecta. I especially loved how Olive didn’t let her disability hold her back! Olive uses yoga breaths to help herself stay calm, which is a strategy I think many kids are learning to use as well.

Magical realism stories are so much fun, since the magical elements of the story—in this case a special wish--are embedded in everyday life. It was fun having Olive take us on the adventure of trying to solve the mystery of where to find the magical hummingbird, and I loved how Olive’s thoughts about what she wanted changed as she went along. For anyone who loves language, the little poems included at different places in the story are an added element to bring delight. I appreciated the author’s note at the end of the story and her word, “If there’s anything that birds—even teeny, little hummingbirds—can teach us, it’s that fragile creatures still get to fly.”


Connections: physical disabilities, school plays, friendship, magical wishes, yoga breathing, poetry, Emily Dickinson


Activity Ideas:

Social-Emotional Learning – Have a class discussion about strategies students might use to help themselves feel calm. Make a list of different strategies and experiment by trying different ones every day during a brief mindfulness period.

Literacy – Encourage students to make a list of words related to an event they have experienced, such as a dance, a hockey game, or being on stage. Once they have a list, they can try to create poetic sentences to capture the feelings they had when they experienced the event.

Literacy – Try this writing prompt: If you won a magical wish, what would you wish for? What might happen if you wish came true?

Watch the trailer: 


Author Natalie Lloyd reads Chapter 1:



Additional Resources:

Investigate hummingbirds with Audubon Adventures

Ideas for poetry lessons:  40 Inspiring Poetry Games and Activities for Kids and Teens by Jull Staake at WeAreTeachers.com


Description from the publisher:   

Twelve-year-old homeschooled Olive is tired of being seen as “fragile” just because she has osteogenesis imperfecta (otherwise known as brittle bone disease) so she’s thrilled when she finally convinces her parents to let her attend Macklemore Elementary. Olive can’t wait to go to a traditional school and make the friends she’s always longed for, until a disastrous first day dashes her hopes of ever fitting in.

Then Olive hears whispers about a magical, wish-granting hummingbird that supposedly lives near Macklemore. It’ll be the solution to all her problems! If she can find the bird and prove herself worthy, the creature will make her most desperate, secret wish come true.

When it becomes clear that she can’t solve the mystery on her own, Olive teams up with some unlikely allies who help her learn the truth about the bird. And on the way, she just might learn that our fragile places lead us to the most wonderful magic of all.

Hummingbird by Natalie Lloyd was published by Scholastic Press in 2022. Visit the publisher's page here.


To find more middle grade books to read, check out Marvelous Middle Grade Monday, organized by Greg Pattridge over at his blog.

7 comments:

  1. I'm a fan of Natalie Lloyd. This new one of hers sounds like one I'd enjoy. Thanks. And glad you're back to blogging.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've read many of Natalie Lloyd's books so this one is high on my list to spend time with in the near future. Thanks for the story background and Happy MMGM!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't believe I didn't know about Natalie Lloyd's new book. Just ordered it Hummingbird. Don't know if Natalie shares her own journey with brittle bone disease in the author note, but it influences so many of her stories. I absolutely love her writing style -- it is so special! She's one of my favorites! Thanks for sharing today!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I think there was an author note. I think a lot of good books have gotten missed over the last couple of years. I hope you enjoy it!

      Delete
  4. Sounds a wonderful story, I haven't come across this author before but I must check her out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been hearing about this book and have it on my list. It sounds so good. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear your responses and thoughts! Your comments will appear after moderation (I’ve decided to enable moderation due to excessive spam).