Monday, October 19, 2020

THE BENEFITS OF BEING AN OCTOPUS by Ann Braden – a powerful and emotional story about choosing the right path

This is a book worth taking some time to read and think about. I really liked how the teacher helped encourage the main character and helped her figure out how to participate in the debate club.


Why read this book?

It’s a powerful story with a lot of emotional depth that will get you thinking. I loved the determined spirit of the main character Zoey and the strength of her caring for her family. I really enjoyed the way the main character learned to think about her life differently and to speak up and choose. Even though Zoey didn’t have a chose to join the debate club, it was interesting how it helped her think about her life differently and to speak up. The story had a hopeful ending, despite the fact that her family situation continued to be challenging. I also really enjoyed the octopus facts included in the story!

 

Here’s the summary:

Some people can do their homework. Some people get to have crushes on boys. Some people have other things they've got to do.


Seventh-grader Zoey has her hands full as she takes care of her much younger siblings after school every day while her mom works her shift at the pizza parlor. Not that her mom seems to appreciate it. At least there's Lenny, her mom's boyfriend—they all get to live in his nice, clean trailer.

At school, Zoey tries to stay under the radar. Her only friend Fuchsia has her own issues, and since they're in an entirely different world than the rich kids, it's best if no one notices them.

Zoey thinks how much easier everything would be if she were an octopus: eight arms to do eight things at once. Incredible camouflage ability and steady, unblinking vision. Powerful protective defenses.

Unfortunately, she's not totally invisible, and one of her teachers forces her to join the debate club. Even though Zoey resists participating, debate ultimately leads her to see things in a new way: her mom’s relationship with Lenny, Fuchsia's situation, and her own place in this town of people who think they're better than her. Can Zoey find the courage to speak up, even if it means risking the most stable home she's ever had?

This moving debut novel explores the cultural divides around class and the gun debate through the eyes of one girl, living on the edges of society, trying to find her way forward.

 

The Benefits of Being an Octopus by Ann Braden was published by Sky Pony Press in 2018. I read an e-version from my local public library.

5 comments:

  1. Have seen this title, but glad to know what it is about. I love that it explores cultural divides involving class and includes the gun debate. It sounds like a wonderful piece of realistic fiction! Will check it out! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've had this on my must read list much too long. I read some reviews when it first came out then it just kept getting buried deeper and deeper. Your thoughts are appreciated as I will be tracking down a copy to read before the year ends. Thanks for featuring on MMGM.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds like an excellent book! There's very few MG books that grapple with what it is like to be lower-income in America, so I'm glad to see one here! I love the metaphor of an octopus as well! Thanks for the wonderful post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds intriguing. I agree that there's not enough books that deal with what it's like to be low income. Or sometimes when I do come across one, it doesn't ring true to me. I'll definitely check this out!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved this book as well. It is a terrific read. Nice to hear your thoughts. Thanks for the post.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear your responses and thoughts! Your comments will appear after moderation (I’ve decided to enable moderation due to excessive spam).