Monday, March 4, 2019

PROPERTY OF THE REBEL LIBRARIAN by Allison Varnes–An entertaining middle grade novel that tackles the issue of censorship


Another recommendation from my writing friend Erika David. What a fun and thought-provoking read!

Description from the publisher…

When twelve-year-old June Harper’s parents discover what they deem an inappropriate library book, they take strict parenting to a whole new level. And everything June loves about Dogwood Middle School unravels: librarian Ms. Bradshaw is suspended, an author appearance is canceled, the library is gutted, and all books on the premises must have administrative approval.

But June can’t give up books . . . and she realizes she doesn’t have to when she spies a Little Free Library on her walk to school. As the rules become stricter at school and at home, June keeps turning the pages of the banned books that continue to appear in the little library. It’s a delicious secret . . . and one she can’t keep to herself. June starts a banned book library of her own in an abandoned locker at school. The risks grow alongside her library’s popularity, and a movement begins at Dogwood Middle–a movement that, if exposed, could destroy her. But if it’s powerful enough, maybe it can save Ms. Bradshaw and all that she represents: the freedom to read.

Equal parts fun and empowering, this novel explores censorship, freedom of speech, and activism. For any kid who doesn’t believe one person can effect change…and for all the kids who already know they can!

Property of the Rebel Librarian, written by Allison Varnes, was published by Random House in 2018.


Why you want to read this book… 

I didn’t have parents that grounded me or took away books, but it was fun to explore what might happen if... This is one of my favourite types of middle grade book--funny and fast-paced but with a deeper layer of meaning. 

The story moved quickly and I got caught up in wondering what might happen to June and her friends. I loved the way the author shows June’s excitement for books and reading, and the way June gradually comes to take a stand. June’s parents are kind of extreme, but once you accept the premise of the story it’s an entertaining read. As a final treat at the end, there’s a reading list of all the books mentioned in the story.


Opening:

You’re going to read a lot about me and the things I’ve done. Most of it is true.


If you’re a writer… 

You might want to read this to study the writing style, concise and to the point with just the right amount of detail. There's strong voice in this novel and I loved how we saw things from June's perspective, including the details of her outfits and those of other people. I also admired how the author handled June’s relationships with her friends. June is interested in boys and talks about them with her friends, something I don’t always see in middle grade novels but is very evident in school hallways. I also liked the realism of her relationship with her away-at-college sister.

This is no longer the same Dogwood Middle. It’s an alternate reality where reading is the coolest thing you can do and I, June Harper, am the leader of the cool kids—of the rebellion.


If you’re an educator…

Another great book to include in the classroom or for a book club pick. There's lots to discuss here about censorship, activism, standing up for what you believe in and feeling empowered.

“Adults are always saying how we need to be responsible citizens, but how can we even learn what that means if you put the library on lockdown?”


If you’re looking for another great list of middle grade books to read, check out Marvelous Middle Grade Monday on Greg Pattridge's blog.

1 comment:

  1. I am very curious about this book now. When I was growing up my parents didn't really ever tell me I couldn't read something. But- I do know there are parents that are very overprotective about what their kids read. I will be adding this one to my list. Thanks for sharing. :)
    ~Jess

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear your responses and thoughts! Your comments will appear after moderation (I’ve decided to enable moderation due to excessive spam).