Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Writing Tip: How to Get Started

One of my biggest problems with writing is getting started. I can open up my story document and stare at it for ages while all the time I've set aside for writing trickles away. By the time I get "warmed up" and into my story enough to start writing, my time is practically over.

A great strategy I've tried to get to the writing part faster is to take the scene I want to write and consider it from the perspective of each one of the characters involved. The three key questions I focus on are:

What does the character want at this moment?

How are they going to get it?

How is the character feeling?

As I think about these questions, it usually sparks some conflict between characters or gets me creating dialogue in my head.  And then I'm off and writing.

Can you get started right away on your writing or do you have some tricks to get yourself into the right mindset?

2 comments:

  1. I am the same way! And when it's time to write I definitely don't want to do it. But then I get going and I'm into it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a slow starter, too. This is why I try to write and teach on different days, so I don't have to switch horses midstream.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear your responses and thoughts! Your comments will appear after moderation (I’ve decided to enable moderation due to excessive spam).