Friday, March 22, 2013

Celebrating Earth Hour

I'm looking forward to celebrating Earth Hour on Saturday night, and so are my kids. For some reason, it's so exciting to sit around in the house with all the lights out and no technology! (My kids have fond memories of the Big Blackout of 2003 when they played hide-and-seek in the dark in a friend's house.)

I've been looking for a picture book about Earth Hour to read to my kindergarten students. So far, I haven't found one that specifically focuses on Earth Hour. If you've come across one, I'd love to know about it. Maybe there's an opportunity for someone to write one, since Earth Hour seems to have become a worldwide tradition!

To celebrate Earth Hour at my house, we usually play a board game by candlelight (and eat snacks). Do you have any great ideas for celebrating Earth Hour?

2 comments:

  1. That's so cool that you do that. I love using candles at night whenever the electricity runs out. That would happen to us for days on end in Indonesia.

    ReplyDelete
  2. For some reason I thought Earth Hour was next week. So glad I saw your post. I normally let my 5th grade students know about it in case they want to participate. I will have to send out an email. :)

    My husband and I love to have everything off and we play Scrabble by candlelight. We usually keep them off longer than an hour. Have a great night!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear your responses and thoughts! Your comments will appear after moderation (I’ve decided to enable moderation due to excessive spam).