Friday, October 22, 2010

Writer's Best Friend

My dog is pretty helpful with my writing (I'd include a picture of her but it throws my old computer into a tailspin. She basically looks like a skinny black lab). How my dog helps with my writing:

1. When I've been at my desk too long, she paws at my arm for attention, telling me it's time to let her outside. Or take her for a walk. This forces me to notice I need a break, and possibly some head clearing fresh air.

2. She gives me a warm shoulder to cuddle up to when I'm feeling frustrated and my writing isn't working.
3. When I want to read my story out loud to check the rhythm, I can pretend I'm reading to her. So then it seems like I'm a weirdo that reads to dogs, not a weirdo that reads to nobody. Why aren't the kids around when I need them?

4. If I hide a dog treat inside an old rejection letter, she'll rip it to shreds for me. I haven't actually tried this, but it might be fun.

4 comments:

  1. I love this! I, too, rely on my dogs for all the things you do. Not only that, no matter what I read to them, they have never said an unkind word about my writing! They are very supportive! And on cold days they keep my feet warm :) You can see them on my website (www.susannahill.com) if you scroll down to the bottom of the "Bio" page. They are both shelter rescue dogs of exceedingly indeterminate breed and the best dogs ever!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love #2. That's so sweet.

    Sigh. I wish I had a dog...

    ReplyDelete
  3. #3--I read to my cat :) Sometimes he flounces out of the room looking annoyed...sigh

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear your responses and thoughts! Your comments will appear after moderation (I’ve decided to enable moderation due to excessive spam).