Monday, October 20, 2014

Marvelous Middle Grade Monday: Who What Wear

It might seem like I just featured the first book in this series, The Allegra Biscotti Collection. But when you find a book you really enjoy, don’t you rush off to look for another book by the same author? I got this paperback from my public library and enjoyed it as much as the first one!

From Amazon:

Emma Rose is SO not famous.

So how did she score inside information on the most talked-about party of the year? Because Emma is secretly the hottest new fashion designer-Allegra Biscotti-and hired to whip up a Sweet Sixteen dress for the guest of honor. Wait...fashion emergency! How can she create a fiercely fashionable dress and keep her secret? There's only one solution: Emma must go undercover-as her own intern!

But when Emma feels the pressure by her BFF to explain how she got an invite from the in-crowd and an ultra-fabulous fashion internship-just when Jackson finally starts paying attention to her-she knows she has to make it work...

...or will it all come apart at the seams?

Who What Wear: The Allegra Biscotti Collection #2, Olivia Bennett, Sourcebooks, 2010.

My Take:

In this book, the story continues as Emma tries to keep her big secret from her best friend, Holly. She’s comes under even more pressure when she’s hired to design a sweet sixteen party dress for a popular girl at her school. I really enjoyed reading about all the fashion details, complete with small illustrations to show Emma’s ideas. A great read for girls who are interested in fashion. [Also see my thoughts on The Allegra Biscotti Collection #1.]

As a writer, this is a good one to study to see how to use small details to show the world from the character’s perspective. Emma is always noticing fashion colours, details and accessories, and it really adds to the believeability of her character.

Opening Line:

“Emma Rose dug through the pile of clothing. Soft, caramel-colored herringbone wool pants. Plum, cap-sleeved silk cocktail dress. Camel, V-neck cashmere sweater. Totally luxe, but totally boring.”

Quotes:

“She could—and sometimes did—spend all day wandering the cramped aisles, drinking in the sight and touch and smell of the silks and the poplins, the eyelets and brocades, the crisp cottons and flowing chiffons.”

“This woman couldn’t actually be suggesting she make Rylan’s dress that totally cringe-worthy shade of the mold that grew on the bagels her mom kept on the counter too long.”

“All you can do is be true to yourself, trust your instincts, and let the rest fall into place.”


For another opinion on this book, check out this review from BookLoons.




5 comments:

  1. Oh the pressure for Emma! I really like the looks and feel of this one. Thanks so much for sharing it! (Wish I had another little girl to share it with, but my age appropriate kiddo (almost 11) is a boy and into animals, dragons, warriors, etc...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I probably won't pursue this one for myself, but I have a fashion loving niece who would love this story... I already recommended the first one to her. Thanks for your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not really into clothes, so this wouldn't be for me. But it sounds like a great book for middle grade girls.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds like a fun series. I'll have to check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Not into clothes, but this is EXACTLY the sort of book my "wanna be fashion-designer" sister would have loved. I am, however, into names... and I love the name Allegra Biscotti.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear your responses and thoughts! Your comments will appear after moderation (I’ve decided to enable moderation due to excessive spam).